Not a math activity exactly but something fun to do virtually near the holidays. The students always enjoy building and decorating gingerbread houses and they have been asking if we can do it virtually. Brainstorming ideas with my youngest son led to the creation of this activity. We have created a few gingerbread “shapes” ( house, train, sleigh, people, snowmen) and added them to a google slides presentation along with some candy-objects. The students can choose which one to decorate or decorate them all. This is the simple version for the young ones however they can be fun for older students as well. They can make cards for friends and family. You can also print them if you are ftf and decorate with beads, glitter, pom poms, small candy and more.
Please make sure that the link you send to your students is the make a copy one.
Here are some ideas of how to use the students’ creations or add some more learning to this activity.
- The students can save their picture as a png with their name on it, and the teacher can decorate them in the virtual classroom or make a board with all of them.
- The students can use their creations to make virtual cards for friends and relatives by adding text. They can save them as png and send them by email.
- The students can write a story about their creation or describe it.
- They can list the candy on their creation by type, and write expressions, or problems. For example “How many blue and red jelly beans are on the roof”?
- They can make a graph to show how many of each type of candy they used for each shape. (house, train)
- The teacher can create a list of expressions for candy to be used. Example: Use 3+5 red jelly beans, use 2×5 gummy bears, and so on.
Here is the google slides presentation to be used in edit mode.
If you would like something more complicated we have also created a “build it” version where the students use blocks to build their house (or train, person) and then decorate it. This version is for students that are more familiar with google slides and can resize, rotate, and flip shapes.
Here is the google slides presentation of the build version to be used in edit mode.
Check out our digital holiday activity cards. (free versions included)
and our latest print and digital activity cards. (free versions)
and some free Winter holiday games.
Check out our best selling games, now back in stock and available at amazon.com and amazon.ca