UNO is one of our favorite games to play. Our kids keep on inventing new rules and cards to make the game more and more challenging. However, UNO cards are great for practicing mental math skills. When our kids were younger we invented a few math games using the colorful UNO cards and some of them we play even now.
Here is one that young students (5 and up) can play as well.
The goal of this game is to be the first one to get rid of all of your cards discarding them by making 10.
Mix up in a deck,
- all the number cards,
- 4 wild cards (not +4)
- 4 +2 cards
- 4 skip a turn cards
Shuffle the cards well and deal 6 to each player. Place the rest of the cards in a pile face down as a draw pile.
At their turn, the players take one of these actions.
- Play up to 3 number cards that add up to 10.
- Draw one more card from the draw pile
- Play a +2 card, and choose one player to take two cards. Be aware: When you play a +2 card if the player you choose has a +2 you must take 4 cards (that player has to discard the +2 card)
The wild card can replace any number for the players to make 10. (works like a joker) However, it cannot be discarded by itself.
Play the skip turn card at any time to stop a player from taking their turn. make sure you do it before the player takes any action.
The first player to discard all their cards is the winner. They can say “zero” or “cero” when playing their last card. The players don’t say UNO when the last card is left so you need to pay attention to the players’ hands and play your skip turn and +2 wisely.
Modifications based on skill level.
- The players can use addition or /and subtraction, or combine the operations including multiplication and division.
- They can discard their cards by making 10 or 20 or other numbers.
- You can play this game with playing cards as well, by removing the 10s Make the king a wild card, the queen +2, and the J skip turn. It helps the younger students add the numbers.
This game offers a lot of mental math practice and allows students to apply strategic thinking.
Check out another game idea with UNO cards here
Hope you enjoy the game, more coming soon.
Check out our Dragon Times, a multiplication math adventure.